Front spring compressor for TR4A/250/6

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Front spring compressor for TR4A/250/6
From: Cliff Hansen <chansen@exis.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 1998 21:56:20 -0500
I spent this last week chasing down material to make a
front spring compressor for my TR4A.  Essentially I got a
piece of grade 5 equivalent 5/8" threaded rod, a steel
plate to push up against the spring pan, and some grade
5 hex nuts and washers.  Cost about $15 total, modeled
after TRF's tool.

I have just about destroyed this tool removing one spring.
Too many threads on the rod are chewed to make me feel
confident about using this thing to remove the other spring,
let alone install them.  I can just see it, I get the other spring
pan loose, its coming down, and the nut strips its threads.
Now I have to cut a piece of grade 5 steel rod with a 400 lb/inch
spring holding the rod in tension.

Anybody "been there, done that" with these spring compressors?
Should I try to make another using heavier material, or give up
and buy the tool from Moss/TRF?  If so, which is the better value?

Thanks for the advice.

Cliff Hansen
chansen@exis.net
1966 TR-4A  CTC 64615L (Anxious to be done with front end work)