Re: headlamps

To: fred thomas <vafred@erols.com>
Subject: Re: headlamps
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 13:44:50 -0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Wed, 25 Feb 1998, fred thomas wrote:

> listers, thanks so much for the many replys, I just thought when I went
> in to Pep Boys a head lamp is just that, I just never thought of R.H. and
>  now I know, again thanks   "FT"

Can you stand one more, Fred? Pertinent to the original question about
Tripod lamps.

The one you probably want is the one often pictured on factory photos of
TR3s and early TR4s -- the "P700" lamp. This has a small round medallion
in the center of the tripod with the word LUCAS on it. It takes a
dual-filament headlamp bulb secured by a bayonet-fix socket. That is
either attached to the wiring harness (home market) for the lamp unit, or
there is an adaptor p/n 554691 available, which plugs into the "standard"
U.S. three-hole headlamp socket. The LHD lamp unit itself is or was
originally p/n 555296.

Then there is the "PL700"; this looks similar, but the medallion in the
center is more "shield" shaped and has LUCAS on top and PL in large
letters underneath. This lamp takes the "Type A" headlamp bulb, which has
the three prongs incorporated into the base of the bulb itself. The LHD
unit carried the original p/n of 54520293.

Hope that helps somewhat.

--Andy