Re: Battery not overcharging

To: JAMES_S_WALLACE@HP-Canada-om1.om.hp.com, stiebing@flash.net, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Battery not overcharging
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 11:11:23 EST
In a message dated 98-02-18 10:10:57 EST, JAMES_S_WALLACE@HP-Canada-
om1.om.hp.com writes:

> Well, OK, but my question was whether a regulator from a car wouldn't
>       work.

James,

Unfortunately, a regulator from a car alternator won't work in this
application.  The alternator regulator works by controlling the field current,
which in turn controls the output voltage.  Using a transformer and rectifier
from a 110 volt line, there would be no means of regulating the "field"
current (in this case, the input to the transformer primary), as it is 110
volts.  Additionally, the input/output relationship would not be the same as
for an alternator.

The function of the regulator is described in some detail on the VTR
maintainence page.  I'm not at home, so I don't have the URL handy, but you
can get there by following the traill from www.vtr.com.   The information
there should help to clarify the above.

Dan Masters,
Atlanta, GA (for a few days. Grandma and grandpa are baby sitting a sick
grandson so his parents can go to work)