Re: Battery not overcharging

To: Trevor Jordan <tjordan@pa.ausom.net.au>
Subject: Re: Battery not overcharging
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 18:01:21 -0800 (PST)
Cc: DANMAS@aol.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

On Wed, 25 Feb 1998, Trevor Jordan wrote:

> Several cells (maybe three out of six) have obviously failed.  It is hard
> to say what the failure mechanism might be.
>
> It appears from its condition that the battery has not been used recently.
> If it was working well when it was last used, it may just need some
> attention.  So before you write it off, you could check the level and
> specific gravity of the electrolyte in each cell.

The battery sat for several years without being cycled at all.  It was on
a (gasp!) concrete floor, but I doubt it affected it much.

The date is 1989 on the battery, so I think it's just too old.

The specific gravity on each cell ranged from red to just before the
yellow last time I fiddled with it.  I didn't look at the numbers on the
hygrometer (hydrometer?); I just figgered it was dead.

-Malcolm