Battery not overcharging

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Battery not overcharging
From: JAMES_S_WALLACE@HP-Canada-om1.om.hp.com
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 15:42:21 -0500
     From time to time, a discussion comes up about how not to overcharge a
     battery that's in storage. This got me wondering: why don't they
     overcharge while they're in use in the car?

     Which leads to: Why not build a battery charger that replicates the
     car's charging system? One could just use a transformer and rectifier
     (this would be like the alternator and rectifier), followed by a
     voltage regulator from a car. It seems to me that it would look the
     same to the battery.

     Why not? Any (constructive) comments?

     Please respond in terms of electrons rather than molecules if
     possible, as I'm chemically-challenged but electronically-oriented.

     Thanks,
     Jim Wallace