Re: TR-6 Starter

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR-6 Starter
From: Chris DeStaffany <sjmeds@rockisland.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 10:58:54 -0800
My Herald did the same thing several years ago and it turned out that the
ring gear had just worn out.  There were 2 place on the gear where the teeth
were very worn 180 degrees opposite of each other.  I had to eventually
remove and replace. BTW, if you end up doing this, REPLACE THE CLUTCH while
your in there. Before the starter started free wheeling, once in a great
while it would jam.  The first few times it did this I simply loosened the
top bolt of the starter and it popped loose.  Later, when I obtained a
original drivers manuel, it addressed this problem, indicating that this
should be expected to happen once and a while and advised "to place the
vehicle in 3rd or 4th  gear and gently rock the car to and fro"  God love
the Brits!