TR-6 Starter

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: TR-6 Starter
From: "Robert J. Snyder" <rjsnydercpa@email.msn.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 22:53:10 -0500
I replaced the starter on my TR-6 last year when I converted to Weber carbs.
I figured it was the perfect time to perform some preventive maintenance
with the increased access gained with the carbs removed.  This seems to have
been a mistake.  The new starter I purchased was a Roadster Factory rebuilt
unit.  As soon as the new starter was in, I noticed it had what seems to be
"dead" spots.  The starter will "whir", but not engage.  This occurs for one
or two tries, and then might catch the third time the ignition is turned.  I
needed to use the car yesterday, but the darn starter was unusually bad,
needing five tries to engage at one point.  I did not experience this
problem with the old starter.  Are there any adjustments that need to be
made when installing a new starter, such as with shims to align the starter
pinion with the flywheel starter ring?  I did not notice any shims when the
old starter was removed.

Getting ready to put the old starter back in.  Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

Bob Snyder

'70 TR-6
'79 Spitfire