Re: TR-6 Starter

To: "Robert J. Snyder" <rjsnydercpa@email.msn.com>
Subject: Re: TR-6 Starter
From: Roger Helman <rogerh@digimation.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 09:09:05 -0600
    Robert, I had a similar problem with my TR in the past. It is at least on
the TR6 not uncommon for the ring gear to back off the fly wheel. When this
happens the starter will chip off the front of the teeth on the leading edge. It
will then develop 'flat spots' until it's completely unable to engage the ring
gear. You can tell by removing the Starter and looking for a gap between the
ring gear and the front (engine side) of the fly wheel. The ring gear should be
flush against the leading edge of the fly wheel. It's been my experience that
once the ring starts moving backwards it's only a matter of time before you are
unable to engage the starter.

Go luck,

Roger

--
Roger Helman                  71 TR6 CC67866L
Digimation Inc.               http://deepthought.digimation.com/rogerh/