Re: TR-6 Starter

To: "Robert J. Snyder" <rjsnydercpa@email.msn.com>
Subject: Re: TR-6 Starter
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 05:57:08 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Bob S. writes:
  < snip >
>I noticed it had what seems to be
>"dead" spots.  The starter will "whir", but not engage.  This occurs for one
>or two tries, and then might catch the third time the ignition is turned.
  < snip >
>Are there any adjustments that need to be
>made when installing a new starter, such as with shims to align the starter
>pinion with the flywheel starter ring?  I did not notice any shims when the
>old starter was removed.
***********************************
Bob,
What usually causes this is grease or oil on the "screw" that the gear
(bushing) rides on.  You know, that big assembly hanging off the end of the
starter. This must be free of grease so that the gear is allowed to "fling"
into the ring gear on the flywheel.  It may have been oiled or coated to
prevent corrosion, and it wasn't removed before you installed it, and is
sticking.  This is the condition you describe, as the "whirring" you
mention is the motor turning, but the gear isn't engaging the flywheel ring
gear.  Try cleaning it off, and if you feel it must be lubed, use a dry
type of lube, and while on the bench, firmly anchored somehow (like clamped
in a large vice) operate the starter.  You should see the gear fling
towards the starter when you turn it on.

72 V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire (project)
73 Ford Courier (parts hauler, rain vehicle)