Re: Spit Shock Removal

To: dchilds@epri.com
Subject: Re: Spit Shock Removal
From: Mark Bradakis <mjb@cs.utah.edu>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 11:54:41 -0700 (MST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Last time I needed to remove a stock spring from a Spit front shock, I made
up a tool using parts on hand.  Of course, I may have a few more parts on
hand than some of the list members.

I took a TR6 wire wheel adapter (with trashed splines) and stuck it, flange
side up, in a big vise.  I dropped the bottom of the Spit shock into the
center hole of the adapter.  Over the top of the shock I put a TR6 brake
drum.  Then I used a few pieces of long threaded rod through the holes in
the brake drum and wire wheel adpapter to pull the brake drum towards the
adapter, compressing the spring.  RealSoonNow I'll actually turn some pieces
out on the '32 Atlas to do this task.  But lately, the springs I've been
using are not long enough to be under compression on a fully extended shock,
so I'm in no hurry to build this tool.

mjb.