Re: Spit Shock Removal

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, dchilds@epri.com
Subject: Re: Spit Shock Removal
From: "Larry Hooven" <dirty_howi@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 10:03:08 PST

I am about to remove the front shocks on my Spit.  I ordered a tool
from
VB but it was going to be on back order for some time.  So
I ordered the tool from MOSS.  Unfortunately I did not look at the
tool before I ordered it.  As most of you probably know, that tool
will
not work!  It looks like I have two options:

1  Use the weight of the car to some how safely decompress and
compress the spring

DEFINATELY NOT OPTION 1, not amount of frustration with the distributors
is worth losing your head over.  spring compressors are readily
available at most auto parts or tool stores.

2  Build a tool.  I have some ideas but more are welcome!

This might work, and give you experience with tool making (hand or
otherwise, not to insult the great machinists out there) and with the
physics of how things work.

A friend of mine has constructed a tool, I think.  I guess that is
option three.

Are there other options?

Dave C

79 Spit

larry,
1979 spitfire  #FM99248U currently several shades of overspray

50 thousand driveway miles, at least it seems that way from pushing it
around.

NOW ON THE WEB at http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Speedway/9311 drop
a line and sign the guest book.