re:oxygen sensor - cheap LED solution

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: re:oxygen sensor - cheap LED solution
From: Andrew Linkens <alinkens@nuera.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 1998 11:44:02 -0800
Conversation-id: <BMSMTP88670732611alinkens@fargo>
I've been following this thread keenly as I posted similar questions some
months ago.
One of the kind listers provided me with a spare sensor and I'm almost ready to
get it all hooked up.
I've come across a bar-graph display with an integral driver circuit for about
£10.
Just hook up with two resistors to set the range and you have a 0-1V dot or
bargraph LED display. It's small and easy to use.
I'll let the list know how it functions. If you're worried about the dot
oscillating then a simple R-C filter on the input line should smooth the
fluctuations.

One further note - literature says that the sensor appears to last only for a
short time with leaded fuel! ie approximately 2-3 hours before contamination
wrecks it.
So, for UK owners like me who always use leaded fuel we're stuffed!
My solution to the problem is to add the heated sensor to a tailpipe extender
and only use it for checking the tuning of the car from time to time. Another
advantage is that you can use one sensor to check all your cars and your
friends cars too!!
Can anybody confirm this problem with leaded fuel?
thanks
Andy