Re: More TR6 engine questions

To: rick <rbacon@netcom.ca>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: More TR6 engine questions
From: tomomalley@hey.net (Tom O'Malley)
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 20:53:13 GMT
Rick writes:

>- I scraped out a cup full (!) of a grayish mastic like stuff from the bottom
>of the oil pan. What's that?

I found the same thing in the oil pan of my Spit 1500...close to a
cupful of thick gray paste...scarey, eh?  And I've got two less
cylinders than you. :-)  Hard to believe it all came from the <worn to
copper> bearings, but I suppose...

Perhaps some of it is cylinder/aluminum piston wear.  I dunno.
Whatever it was, it seems it didn't stay in suspension long enough to
be picked up by the filter.

>- from the measurements I took, the cam and crank are in great shape.
>I feel I should change the main bearings and connecting rod bearings while
> I'm there:

Did you check the crank for ovality?  Do the journals show any
scoring?  If so, a regrind may be in order.

The Haynes Spit manual states that: "the bearings should be changed as
a matter of course"  They're cheap enough...bet the TR is the same.

>should I have the crank polished or is it OK to install the new bearings as
>is.

Well....if the crank shows no scoring  I'd say you're ok.  If you see
any "light" scoring, then let a machine shop make the call.

>rick
>72 TR6

Cheers!

Tom O'Malley
'74, '77 Spits  <with new bearings and "lightly" scored crank>