Re: TR6 Speedometer Calibration

To: Terry W Geiger <t_geiger@juno.com>
Subject: Re: TR6 Speedometer Calibration
From: scott suhring <suhring@lancnews.infi.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 1998 18:44:58 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Terry:

Just got done installing a new dash on my '70 TR6. Not sure of
differences between a '70 and a '76, but the trip reset is a cable that
runs from the back of the guage (looking at the back, it is around
10 o'clock if my memory serves me). This goes down to
the bottom of the dash frame under the steering column and attaches to
a metal holder that is like an eye bolt. It is screwed in with a collar
and the trip meter is set by twisting the end knob.

As for cleaning the guages, you'll want to take out the glass. To do
this the
outer metal rims have a number of metal tabs that are bent back over the
guage
lip to hold the rim and thus the glass. Bend these back up (I used a
knife to get
it started, a small screw driver to leverage it up and then needle nose
pliers
to straighten up). The rest just comes apart. If like mine, the caulking
for the
glass will be brittle and will need "chipped" out. I cleaned everything,
repainted
some of the needles (white), repainted the metal rims a semi gloss black
and
they look brand new. I ended up using the windshiled installation caulk
re-caulk the glass since this was the only black I could find that was
water
resistant and would stay somewhat flexible. A bitch to use but the end
product was
great.

Hope this helps.

Scott Suhring