Rocker arms

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Rocker arms
From: Rebareng <Rebareng@aol.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 1998 19:23:21 EST
Has anyone had experience with refacing rocker arm tips?  A while back the
topic of "noisy engine" came up and worn rocker arms was brought up.  I'd have
to agree with that.  A couple months ago I set out to adjust valves on a "74
TR6 that I'd just bought when I realized I couldn't get a good measurement
with the becaust the ends of the rocker arms were worn (almost cupped where
the hit the valves).  I removed the whole assembly and lightly filed them to
get close to a radius and that really made a difference.  Now that I know I'll
be keeping it for a while I'd like to make sure it's a permanent solution and
am wondering if the filing can be improved on (also want to make sure that the
filing didn't remove too much of the hardened surface).  That said, I can of
course go for all new (shaft needs replacing any way) or go the machine shop
route.  I know of one that does a hard coat finish after radiussing the tips.
Also, has anyone had a bushing pressed into the arm for riding on the shaft?
Would that weaken the arm (by drilling out the hole in the arm to put in the
bushing, I mean)?

Thank for any help.
Steve Shelt
Rebareng@aol.com