Re: Frame straightning

To: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Subject: Re: Frame straightning
From: Joe Curry <curry@wolfenet.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 12:40:15 -0800
Cc: Tory Johnson <toryj@bellsouth.net>, Triumphs Mail List <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>

Andrew Mace wrote:

> Joe, I'm not sure I agree with you here, based in part on first-hand
> experience. I do agree that the rear extensions are likely to be bent
> somewhat. But it wouldn't surprise me to find that some of the impact load
> could have been transmitted to other parts of the chassis either by those
> extensions or by the tub.
>
> My bottom line here is that the car should be very thoroughly measured for
> either body or chassis dimensions that are out of square, and it should be
> restored to those correct dimensions as best that can be done. Otherwise
> (assuming that damage is present) I'd wonder if any of the four wheels can
> be aligned enough to keep them moving with each other as they should.
> After that, any and all of the rear suspension and drivetrain should be
> thoroughly checked as well for any crash-related damage.
>
> I hope this insurance company really is willing to live up to that goal
> they set of "better than before" -- it can be a challenge.

Andy,I agree with your assessment.  Perhaps I didn't expound sufficiently.  I
guess I should have added the further statement, "you should at bare minimum,
have the alignment checked at both front and rear to ascertain whether the frame
is still straight."  However, my mental picture of the accident was such that it
didn't sound like the impact was severe enough to affect alignment.  Only the
alignment meters will tell if that is true.  If the insurance co. is paying for
it, you should certainly have it checked.

Joe Curry
--
"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible
 to travel across the country coast to coast without seeing