Re: Frame straightning

To: Tory Johnson <toryj@bellsouth.net>, Triumphs Mail List <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Frame straightning
From: Joe Curry <curry@wolfenet.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 10:35:29 -0800

Tory Johnson wrote:

> As some of you may have read, I was rear-ended by a dodge truck on
> monday while driving my newly restored 78 Spitfire. The bumper being
> attatched to the frame, I'm realativly sure the frame is bent some. My
> question is when i have the body work done, and the frame straightened,
> are there certain specs regarding the frame i should be aware of and
> make know to the repair people?....If so, what are they?.....The
> insurance company is sounding very accomodating, due to the fact that
> this guy hit me from behind.....They are saying, "we will make the car
> better than before". Does anyone have suggestions as to what i should
> ask be done extra to make the car better than before? (we're talking
> paint and body work here).

Troy,Unless you were smacked extremely hard, it is unlikely that you
injured any part to the frame that has to do with wheel alignment and
handling.  If anything is bent, it will likely be those frame extenders
that were added behind the differential mount on the 1500's.  Since they
are solely for stiffening the rear of the car (in he event of a rear ender)
I would think that straightening by the "eye-ball method should be
sufficient.

As for the offer to "make it better than before". I'd jump right on that
one.  There are probably a number of things that you want done, so you
should test the water to see how far they will go to appease you.

Regards,
Joe Curry

--
"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible
 to travel across the country coast to coast without seeing