Re: Fram 3600 - last question

To: Joe Curry <curry@wolfenet.com>
Subject: Re: Fram 3600 - last question
From: Ken Streeter <streeter@sanders.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 07:24:51 -0500
Cc: DANMAS <DANMAS@aol.com>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, dhoward@jht.com, 105671.471@compuserve.com, 74137.3420@compuserve.com

Dan Masters wrote:
> My question is this:  If I maintain my car well, changing oil
> and filter on a regular basis, no less often than, say every
> 5000 miles, is there any reasonable probability that the filter
> will become clogged to the point that the bypass is needed
> between oil changes?

Yes, I am aware of one other case where the filter may be
"temporarily" clogged, even if it was just changed.  This
circumstance is described in the spin-on filter article
on the VTR WWW pages (which has some pictures of the TR6
oil filtration system, bypass valves, and all) at
http://www.vtr.org/maintain/tr6-spinon.html

In the article, Jack Emery describes how he had a problem
due to having 20W50 oil in his car TR6 at 20 degrees, while
using a PH2825 filter, which didn't have a bypass valve.
After some research, he suggested using the PH3600, which
worked around his "cold oil" problem.  (Personally, I use
the Motorcraft FL-400A equivalent.)

Yes, some of you may say that one shouldn't be using 20W50
oil in 20 degree temperatures.  You are right about that,
but there often isn't much that can be done about it when
one lives in places like Maine or New Hampshire, where, if
one drives their Triumph into September and/or October, it
is not uncommon to have a 20 degree night in late September
or early October, yet still have 70F+ temperatures a day or
two later.  For that matter, even people in Arizona may have
to deal with such temperature extremes -- on my first trip to
Phoenix in April a few years back, it was 80F the day I
arrived; the next morning at the South Rim of the Grand
Canyon, there was fresh snow on the ground, and it was 24F
outside...

For people that regularly deal with such extreme temperature
differentials, switching to a synthetic oil (with better cold
temperature behavior) may help.

--ken
VTR WWW Maintainer -- http://www.vtr.org

--