TR2 distributor Q's

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR2 distributor Q's
From: John Gillis <jgillis@tcd.ie>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 09:17:29 +0000
Hello list
        I have a few questions about the latest area of my project, some
anorak and some technical.

1. According to my manuals and my Moss catalogue my distributor should be a
Lucas DM2 P4 model 40403. However mine has DM2 40403A. As well as this the
DM2 is not where it should be on the top beside the vacuum unit, instead it
is on the raised plinth on the side of the body under the model number.
Anyone seen this one before.

2. Now the tech. Q's The area that seems to have suffered most wear is the
action plate which sits under the centrifugal weights and the weights
themselves. I have not seen either item offered for sale by suppliers.
Anybody know if these bits are obtainable. Also the springs on the weights
seem to be of a different guage to eachother, normal or what??

3. In the same area, How does one remove the tachometer drive from the
distributor pedestal?. There is a nut in the side of the pedestal which
locates in a recess in the gear shaft. But this is of no use as obvously
the gear cannot clear the bearing in which it runs. Both bearing and drive
gear can only be drawn out as it is closed at the other end and into the
pedestal "tube" for want of a better word. Hope this makes some sense.

John Gillis
1954 TR2 TS3618. October 1954 (ground up)
1964 Triumph 3TA 350cc (a little gem)
Trinity College
Dublin,
IRELAND.