Fram 3600 - last question

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, dhoward@jht.com, 105671.471@compuserve.com, 74137.3420@compuserve.com
Subject: Fram 3600 - last question
From: DANMAS <DANMAS@aol.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 03:07:37 EST
One last question about filters and bypass valves, and then I'll shut up -- I
promise!

I am not trying to say that anyone SHOULDN'T use a filter with a bypass valve,
I am only asking if it is NECESSARY to use one.

I understand that the purpose of the bypass is to allow unfiltered oil to
reach the block if the filter becomes clogged, and I understand that
unfiltered oil is better than no oil at all.

My question is this:  If I maintain my car well, changing oil and filter on a
regular basis, no less often than, say every 5000 miles, is there any
reasonable probability that the filter will become clogged to the point that
the bypass is needed between oil changes?  Is it possible that sludge will
build up on the interior of the block over time, and then be dislodged - from
hitting a pothole, or something like that - such that it will be sucked into
the filter, clogging it? Or is there some other means I just don't understand
to clog the filter, if changed regularly?

Right now, I use a PH3600, and I have never worried about whether or not it
had a bypass, because I never thought it to be important, as I change the oil
and filter about every 1500 miles or so.

If it doesn't involve electrons, I get confused easily!

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

'74 MGBGT---3000mile/year driver, original condition, slated for a V8 soon!
'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74