Re: TR250 Petrol Tank

To: WBabbitt <WBabbitt@aol.com>
Subject: Re: TR250 Petrol Tank
From: "Keith A. Edwards" <kedwards@norfolk.infi.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 06:26:07 -0500
Cc: kelly@dss.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
WBabbitt wrote:

> Bill,
> The tank for your TR250 is the same as that used on the TR4 and TR4A.  I have
> a 1966 TR4A donor car which has been supplying parts for a TR3A rebuild.  I'm
> in the process of clearing out garage and shed space by selling off TR4A parts
> that won't support the TR3A.   The TR4A tank didn't leak when I got the car
> about 10 years ago and has been drying out ever since.   If you want to go the
> replacement route let me know.

I can offer up a slight difference between the TR4 gas tank, and the
TR4A/TR250 tank.  The TR4 tank is vented and uses an unvented filler
cap.  TR4As and TR250s rely upon vented gas filler caps.  Ask me how I
about fuel starvation problems, when using an unvented tank and an early
(unvented) gas cap.

On the subject of fuel cells, I have a fuel cell in my former racecar
TR3B.  Instead of baffles, it has a bladder resting in foam, encased in
a steel box.  I understand there are companies that custom make bladders
to put into your existing gas tank.  Me, I'd locate a reasonable used
stock gas tank, and have it boiled at a  radiator shop.

Keith Edwards
Suffolk, VA  USA
kedwards@norfolk.infi.net
(2) 1962 Triumph TR3Bs