Re: Brazing/lead loading/soldering

To: "Andrew Linkens" <alinkens@nuera.com>
Subject: Re: Brazing/lead loading/soldering
From: "Eric Bachman" <ebachman@fuse.net>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 1998 10:16:35 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "Triumphs" <Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
To my knowledge, a MIG welder cannot be converted to perform brazing
operations, since one of the electrodes is the consumable wire.  Sears and
others have an attachment for "Carbon Arc" welding that affixes to a
standard arc welder.  This device connects the electrodes to a pair of
copper coated carbon rods, a little smaller in diameter than a pencil.  The
two rods are in a V shape and the arc or "flame" between the tips of the
rods creates the heat.  I have done a fair amount of brazing using this
attachment with really good results.  The drawback is that unlike your MIG
welder which generates lots of heat in a very small area for a very short
time, brazing spreads less heat over a much larger area for a longer period
of time - warping is a concern.  Also with the carbon arc attachment, make
sure you use regular welding lenses, not the acetylene lenses.  The light
generated by the carbon arc attachment is amazing!

I have also found that even if you get the flux coated brazing rods, get a
can of brazing flux anyway and use it.  It will make your life a lot easier.

Good Luck!

Eric Bachman
73 TR6
61 Morgan +4