Re: exhaust coatings....

To: Chris Lillja <Chris_Lillja@pupress.princeton.edu>
Subject: Re: exhaust coatings....
From: Bob Jones <JONES_M2@popmail.firn.edu>
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 1998 22:56:40 -0600
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Chris Lillja wrote:

> ...anybody know of the judging ramifications of the exhaust coatings being
>discussed?
> (I realize that headers would be a problem anyway.) Do concours judges accept
>jet hot or
> the Eastwood paint? I'm about to put my exhaust manifold back on to my
>4A...."Original
> TR" says the exhaust manifolds (for TR2-3, anyway) were left "as cast"... I'm
>gonna wire
> brush the rust off it anyway, there's the remnants of silver paint on it
>too... anyone
> ever hear of Eastwoods "manifold dressing"? It looks like "stove black" for
>wood
> stoves...
> "The difference between a horse and a goat is more than a pair of horns..." -
>"Kas" Kastner
>
> Chris Lillja
> TR4A
> Norton Commando
> Spit MKIV

Let me put my two-cents worth on the coating discussion.  I had my
factory racing headers Jet Coated.  Nice job, kinda high priced, and
they looked good when I got them back(silver). Installed according to
instructions.  They discolored very quickly.  Sent them back for
recoating under the guarantee.  No hassle from Jet Coat.  They did them
again and sent back promptly.  Discolored just as fast the second time.
Conclusion:  The standard coating they use can't stand the heat, at
least in a TR6.  Its such a hassle to take off the carbs, etc. that I
haven't sent them back again yet.  Maybe their high temp black is
better?  As to the judging aspect, if you have headers you will be
placed in the Modified class where the coating won't be an issue.  In my
case the Six won a Gold Certificate at VTR this summer, discolored
headers and all.
Bob