Re: exhaust coatings....

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: exhaust coatings....
From: "Power British Performance Parts, Inc." <britcars@powerbritish.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 1998 23:15:11 -0500
>Let me put my two-cents worth on the coating discussion.  I had my
>factory racing headers Jet Coated.  Nice job, kinda high priced, and
>they looked good when I got them back(silver). Installed according to
>instructions.  They discolored very quickly.  Sent them back for
>recoating under the guarantee.  No hassle from Jet Coat.  They did them
>again and sent back promptly.  Discolored just as fast the second time.
>Conclusion:  The standard coating they use can't stand the heat, at
>least in a TR6.  Its such a hassle to take off the carbs, etc. that I
>haven't sent them back again yet.  Maybe their high temp black is
>better?  As to the judging aspect, if you have headers you will be
>placed in the Modified class where the coating won't be an issue.  In my
>case the Six won a Gold Certificate at VTR this summer, discolored
>headers and all.
>Bob

Bob,

We've used Jet-Hot extensively and have found that motors with long duration
cams and Weber carbs don't do well with the silver Jet-Hot.  They claim the
standard coatings are good to 1300 degrees which IMHO is streching it.  It
does work very well for stock manifolds in either silver or gray.  For race
applications we usually specify their higher rated material called Jet-Hot
2000.  They claim 2000 degrees hence the name which again might be pushing
the limits a little.  While very expensive, we have found it more than
durable and very difficult to get off either by heat or in the sandblast
cabinet.  I know that they will cut a deal if you've had problems with the
regular stuff before.  If anyone else out there is having problems with the
stuff you might want to give them a call next time you have the exhaust off.

Usual disclaimers, no interest, etc.  (Although I wish I could get them to
sponsor our Spit!)

 Regards,

Brian Schlorff   '64 TR-4     '71 TR-6     '72 TR-6     '79 Spit
     Power British                             Check out Power British
    371 E. Main St.                                    on the 'Net!
Norristown, PA 19401
   (610) 270-0505                    www.powerbritish.com/~britcars