Re: exhaust coatings....

To: Chris Lillja <Chris_Lillja@pupress.princeton.edu>
Subject: Re: exhaust coatings....
From: Michael Burdick <mburdick@netserv.unmc.edu>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 1998 14:31:53 -0600 (CST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

On Tue, 6 Jan 1998, Chris Lillja wrote:

> concours judges accept jet hot or the Eastwood paint? I'm about to put
> my exhaust manifold back on to my 4A...."Original TR" says the exhaust
> manifolds (for TR2-3, anyway) were left "as cast"... I'm gonna wire
> brush the rust off it anyway, there's the remnants of silver paint on it
> too...

Chris,

I don't know about the judging part of your question, but an alternative
that I've tried is a "cast-metal-gray" manifold paint from Bill Hirsch. It
is a high-temp paint that looks very much like freshly blasted cast iron.
I sandblasted a Spitfire manifold and painted it with this stuff and it
looked very good.  I only had the car for a month or two after painting
the manifold but it seemed to be holding up well.  I even subjected it to
direct flame from my mapp gas torch (to free a busted stud in the
manifold) and the paint was unaffected.  I don't know how it holds up long
term in regular use however.  It could be just the thing to use a month or
two before the VTR meet though...

Hope this helps,
Mike Burdick
Omaha NE