Re: Commission Plates

To: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Subject: Re: Commission Plates
From: Joe Curry <curry@wolfenet.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 1998 20:08:22 -0800
Cc: Bob Kramer <rgk@flash.net>, The Usual Suspects <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>

Malcolm Walker wrote:

> On Wed, 7 Jan 1998, Bob Kramer wrote:
>
> > I haven't tried this yet, but hobby shops sell a paint on masking
> > liquid.  Sounds like you could paint it on and meticulously outline the
> > letters to remove excess material.
>
> What about hot wax?  Just dunk the whole thing in paraffin and carve away
> the stuff you want to keep... technique like that is usedby Ukranians for
> painting psanky, or easter eggs... you use a hot metal scribe, dunk it in
> wax, and draw on the egg... maybe it would work with metal?
>
> Just a think...
>
> -Malcolm

  Malcom,

That process, by the way, is a very widely used one in many industries.  It's
akin to the photo-engraving process, whereby the wax (or other substance) is
removed by a hot light, laser or other source that burns it away in the
desired places.  Then you have a "plate" which you can use to print by.  In
this case, you would make a Positive plate instead of a negative.

Joe Curry