RE: PUBLIC FLOGGING IN THE NEWSGROUP - Honesty issue

To: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: PUBLIC FLOGGING IN THE NEWSGROUP - Honesty issue
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 1998 16:23:28 -0700

        <snip>
> Most gaskets are sent within days of
> receieving their checks... and more often than not, before I have even
> deposited their checks.

I have some comments here...I realize we all may have our own ideas on
how to conduct business over the net, so here goes.

NOTE: This is not meant to be critical of anyone or any company. Please
don't take it that way, anyone.

I have bought a few items from people I have met on the net (never sold
anything so I have no perspective of this). All the stuff has been car
related, both from people on this list and also from other sources.

In no case have I had to send cash first. It has either been we agree to
send our items "simultaneously" (this with people I "knew" from the
list) or I wait until the goods arrive and then if satisfied, I mail the
payment (people I have never known before). In every case I had numerous
exchanges with the person so I could get a general "feel" for them
without actually meeting them or even knowing for sure where physically
they are. Haven't had anything go wrong yet... (knock on wood).

I think the rationale behind this approach is that no matter how you
look at it, cash (or money order or whatever) is easier to "negotiate"
than a drive shaft or a gasket or whatever. That way if the seller has
your cash, it seems it would be easier for them to rip you off than in
you received a widget and tried to refuse to pay. If you really were a
cheater, would you want the widget in the first place or would you
rather have cash?

Having said that, I realize that our group is concerned with items for
cars no longer made and said items may be rare or hard to find so to
*the right person* that widget may be quite valuable. But I would think
that those people genuinely in the car hobby are not out to rip anyone
off. But as with all things in life, buyer beware (and seller beware in
this case).

So to summarize, I agree with Justin, we should give the person the
benefit of the doubt. As for the gaskets, well when then 6 cyl ones are
available, I guess I will have to pay first, but of course I "know"
Justin from the list so I believe he is not going to rip anyone off.

Peter Zaborski
76 TR6 (CF58310 UO)
Calgary AB Canada