Re: Stinky 'ol Spitfire

To: Dave Chu <dave@ece.concordia.ca>
Subject: Re: Stinky 'ol Spitfire
From: Atwell Haines <carbuff@scooter.net>
Date: Sun, 04 Jan 1998 18:14:29 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
At 03:08 PM 1/4/98 -0500, Dave Chu wrote:
  >   It looks like your needle valve is stuck open.
>>
>>The carb was rebuilt using the Moss kit before I got it back on the road.
>>Its still running rich (catalytic converter glowing slightly red) despite
>>leaning the needle out 'till it idles rough.

You may be right, although I'm pretty sure I back-sprayed the float needle
when I checked it the second time.

>    Since you mentioned that you have just rebuild your carb.  I would think
>    that it might be some dirt stuck in the needle valve keeping it from
>    shutting the flow of fuel.  Thus the cause of your smelly and leaking
>    carb.   You can try tapping the float chamber with a screwdriver handle
>    to loosen the dirt form the needle valve or, since you're pretty handy
>    in taking the float out, you can check the needle valve by taking it
>    out of the carb.

Once its out do you check it visually, or functionally somehow?

Anyway, today I inspected the carb intake bore by removing the air cleaner
assy and lifting the piston.   Lo and behold, there was a pool of gas in
there.

So it looks as if I'll be removing that sucker one more time.

Thanks Dave.

Atwell Haines
'79 Spitfire  FM96062 UO

Succasunna, NJ USA
"Q: How do Blonde brain cells die? A: Alone."