Stinky 'ol Spitfire

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Stinky 'ol Spitfire
From: Atwell Haines <carbuff@scooter.net>
Date: Sat, 03 Jan 1998 18:36:02 -0500
Happy New Year, Listers:

My '79 Spit, which is happily driving around the frozen North now that it's
registered & insured (whattaya mean why am I driving around with the top
down in 25 degree weather?  Its not raining, is it?) has a problem with gas
dripping put of the carb (Zenith-Stromberg 150 CD) after I shut it down.
I've taken the carb off twice to verify that the floats are set at the
correct height.

The carb was rebuilt using the Moss kit before I got it back on the road.
Its still running rich (catalytic converter glowing slightly red) despite
leaning the needle out 'till it idles rough.

Before I spend $$$ on a new float, is there anything else that could be
wrong? A check of the choke was suggested, but the car has an aftermarket
manual choke to replace the original water-actuated contraption, and the
actuating lever is fully "off". I suspect the floats as they are the
originals, and I have had to readjust the mixture (always leaner) since the
rebuild.

My wife is complaining about the funny smell coming from the garage (its
that darn oxygenated fuel leaking under the car).   Can anyone help?

Atwell Haines
'79 Spitfire  FM96062 UO

"It's tough to be nostalgic when you can't remember anything"