Re: Stinky 'ol Spitfire

To: "tr club" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Stinky 'ol Spitfire
From: "birdy" <p.bird@virgin.net>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 1997 21:03:29 -0000
>From what you have told us the problem is not with the car running to rich,
a red hot and glowing catalytic converter is a sign that you are running
lean. A rich running car will run cooler.

Your problem may well be due to carb icing. If you are driving around in
temperatures of 25 degrees fahrenheit (about -3 celcius)  then carb icing
can become a problem. The carb will only be iced up while the fuel is
flowing through it and then when it stops the ice will melt, leaving
puddles of fuel in the mouth of the carb. One way to get around the problem
of icing is to make sure that you have the original airbox attached to the
carb and that if there is any temperature controlling device within the box
it is set to the warmer position. The temperature device usually takes the
form of a flap in the airbox which draws in air from a heatbox on one of
the exhaust downpipes, this should be open when the car is idling so that
when there is a weak mixture going through the carb it is a warm weak
mixture. When the throttle is opened some more the flap reverts to it's
other position which lets nice cool air from the main tube to give the best
power (the cooler the air the more power you get).

Some airboxes have an adjustable tube which can be twisted down towards the
exhaust manifold during the winter to prevent carb icing.

If the airbox is set correctly but the problem still persists then this is
what i suggest.

Set the carb up for normal running as described in the workshop manual (no
airbox)

Set the flap in the airbox constantly in the hot position so it is drawing
all it's air through the heatbox on the manifold.

If you suffer power loss then either enlarge the hole for the hot feed or
reset the flap to it's original position and make sure that the air that
goes in through both entrances is warmed by the exhaust manifold.

If any of this is not clear then I can draw diagrams. :)

Birdy