Re: Heralds - roof, engines and petrol

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Heralds - roof, engines and petrol
From: "Jonathan Miles" <MILESJE@novell2.bham.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 14:40:09
> Ben@seiph.umds.ac.uk wrote:
> >
> > Good day list,
> >
> > I thought that it was about time that I asked a few of my burning questions
>and balance up the seemingly TR
> > dominated list.
> >
> > The previous owner fitted a 1500 dolomite engine with twin carbs
and a sptifire radiator and so begin my > > questions:

> > 3, Is there any difference in 1500 Spitfire engines and 1500
Dolomite engines? > >
> > 4, Whats the deal with leaded/unleaded petrol with these engines. I have
>been told that its OK to use unleaded as
> > long as the occasional tank of leaded is used to lubricate the system. I
>currently err on the side of caution and fill
> > up with alternate tanks.
> >
> > If there are any Herald owners out there, I hope you can help.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Ben Barratt
> > Brighton

Hi Ben,

I have a 1500 Dolomite engine in my 1500, Spitfire. The only
difference between the engines is the engine number, the shape of the
sump (Dolomite sump will not fit in a Spit) and the pickup on the oil
pump is slightly different.

You can use unleaded in this engine if you use one tank in three of
four star. Otherwise the valves and seats burn.

Hope this helps,

Jonathan

Spitfire 1500

*************************************