Re: Heralds - roof, engines and petrol

To: Ben@seiph.umds.ac.uk
Subject: Re: Heralds - roof, engines and petrol
From: Richard Jackson <RICHARD.JACKSON@NENE.AC.UK>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 12:13:37 +0000 (GMT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

Morning Ben, and the rest of the list for that matter,

> Good day list,
>
> I thought that it was about time that I asked a few of my burning questions
>and balance up the seemingly TR
> dominated list.
>
> I recently bought a Herald 1200 and defected from the Mini list dreaming of
>greater exitement, a sun-tanned head in
> the summer (see point 1 below) and the prospect of working on a car which
>didn't require yoga classes to get at
> its vital organs.

Tell me about it, just changed the rear suspension cone on our '76 Mini,
what fun!!! :-)

> The previous owner fitted a 1500 dolomite engine with twin carbs and a
>sptifire radiator and so begin my
> questions:
>
> 1, Most importantly, could anyone confirm or destroy a supposed myth that it
>is possible to easily unbolt the roof to
> convert a Herald saloon into a convertible during our long balmy English
>summers.

Yes, it IS possible,  Yes, it IS fun, Yes, the doors DO fly open all the
time during the topless driving, and usually afterwards to.  How do I
know, ask my girlfriend, she was NONE to pleased once when I picked her
up from work in her NEW converted Herald. Some women have NO sense of
humour(NO comments about needing one being with me please!!) :-)

Also, on a heavier note, IF you have a smash(touch dashboard that you
don't) you will probably find the insurance void!!!  I know I did it, I
was(am) stupid, I sinned.......I was young!!!! :-)

> 2, I quite like the high pitched whine reminiscent of a launching aeroplane
>which accompanies the engine noise but
> what is it caused by? Suggestions so far have been the gearbox/transmission
>or the air intake.

I think it's a mixture of the entire drive line, nothing to really worry
about unless it excessive, ALL Heralds(and their owners :-)) whine to some
extent, it's their nature and characteristic! :-)

> 3, Is there any difference in 1500 Spitfire engines and 1500 Dolomite engines?

I think the Dolly engine is slightly less powerful, although I couldn't be
certain.

> 4, Whats the deal with leaded/unleaded petrol with these engines. I have been
>told that its OK to use unleaded as
> long as the occasional tank of leaded is used to lubricate the system. I
>currently err on the side of caution and fill
> up with alternate tanks.

I have now done approx 62,000 miles in my Spit, mainly using unleaded,
with an ocassional squirt of lead with no real problems. Although I do
notice a slight decrease in performance if I go too long without lead, I
mean the car not me!!! :-)  I would say that 2 tanks unleaded to 1
leaded would be fine.

> If there are any Herald owners out there, I hope you can help.

Hope I have,  I dare say you will get some more response too.  Good Luck.

Rich
TSSC Leicester Area Organisor, and owner/Nurturer of 76 Spit 1500, 73 Spit
MkIV, '71 Herald 13/60 Estate(With useful sunroof), '69 Moggy Minor, '67
Herald 1200 Saloon(The girlfriends really), '66 Austin A40 Farina, and a
partridge in a Pear Tree!!  Oh, and the girlfriends Mini!!!  Also, '96
McLaren F1 LM, (Honest!) :-)

Cheerio

Rich