Re: Heralds - roof, engines and petrol

To: Ben@seiph.umds.ac.uk
Subject: Re: Heralds - roof, engines and petrol
From: Spitfire 1500 <spitfire1500@named.dalton.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 08:16:18 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Ben@seiph.umds.ac.uk wrote:

> Good day list,
>
> I thought that it was about time that I asked a few of my burning questions
>and balance up the seemingly TR
> dominated list.
>
> I recently bought a Herald 1200 and defected from the Mini list dreaming of
>greater exitement, a sun-tanned head in
> the summer (see point 1 below) and the prospect of working on a car which
>didn't require yoga classes to get at
> its vital organs.
> The previous owner fitted a 1500 dolomite engine with twin carbs and a
>sptifire radiator and so begin my
> questions:
>
> 1, Most importantly, could anyone confirm or destroy a supposed myth that it
>is possible to easily unbolt the roof to
> convert a Herald saloon into a convertible during our long balmy English
>summers.
>
> 2, I quite like the high pitched whine reminiscent of a launching aeroplane
>which accompanies the engine noise but
> what is it caused by? Suggestions so far have been the gearbox/transmission
>or the air intake.
>
> 3, Is there any difference in 1500 Spitfire engines and 1500 Dolomite engines?
>
> 4, Whats the deal with leaded/unleaded petrol with these engines. I have been
>told that its OK to use unleaded as
> long as the occasional tank of leaded is used to lubricate the system. I
>currently err on the side of caution and fill
> up with alternate tanks.
>
> If there are any Herald owners out there, I hope you can help.
>
> Thanks
>
> Ben Barratt
> Brighton

Hi Ben!
  The concept of not having to know yoga first turned me on to the small
chassis Triumph as well.  I don't know about question one, Andy, you
listening?  Questions two, where does the sound appear to be coming
from? Is it ahead of the firewall (engine), beside you (transmission),
or behind (differential)?  I don't know about question three, either.
About question four, if your car has a catalytic converter, never use
leaded gasoline!  If your car doesn't have a catalytic convertor, either
leaded or unleaded should work fine, but if using alot of unleaded fuel,
I would check to see if the head has hardened seats and guides, if not
check for wear and install same.
  I don't own a Herald (where is Andy when you need him?), but I do own
a Vitesse (it's kind of a basket case at the moment) and a Spitfire that
one day will have a 2.0L six in it.

Happy Motoring!

Ron N.
Dalton, Ga
http://member.dalton.net/~spitfire1500
77 Spitfire 1500 - undergoing cajones transplant - FM66513UO
62? Vitesse/Sports 6 convertible - HB5635LCV
92 Ford Tempo GLS V6 (Ultimate Q-ship!) - 1FAPP38U1NK150073