Re: Heralds - roof, engines and petrol

To: Spitfire 1500 <spitfire1500@named.dalton.net>
Subject: Re: Heralds - roof, engines and petrol
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 10:16:08 +0500 (EST)
Cc: Ben@seiph.umds.ac.uk, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Ben@seiph.umds.ac.uk wrote:

> > 1, Most importantly, could anyone confirm or destroy a supposed myth
> > that it is possible to easily unbolt the roof to convert a Herald
> > saloon into a convertible during our long balmy English summers.

On Tue, 18 Mar 1997, Spitfire 1500 responded:

> ...I don't own a Herald (where is Andy when you need him?)...

I'm here, now, gang. It's ok. (Why do I keep hearing the "Mighty Mouse"
theme running through my head?) ;-)

Anyway, Rich, Ron and others have pretty well covered all this. I'll add
mostly that you really don't want to de-roof a Herald saloon unless you're
absolutely sure the entire body and chassis are rust-free and otherwise
undamaged. Even at that you're likely to experience the fly-open doors,
etc., that others have mentioned.

I understand that convertibles are rather scarce (except in the U.S.,
where they originally outnumbered saloons by significant margins), but
most folks would be best off a: buying a convertible, b: buying one of
those Tristan conversion kits (ugh!, but that's just my opinion, and it's
a reversible modification) for the saloon, or c: "settling" for a 12/50
saloon, or at least the sunshine roof from same on your saloon.

As for abandoning the Mini (or the Mini list) for the greater excitement
of a Herald (or a Triumphs list), I wouldn't touch that one with a
ten-foot CV joint! ;-)

--Andy