Heralds - roof, engines and petrol

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Heralds - roof, engines and petrol
From: Ben@seiph.umds.ac.uk
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 1997 12:04:06 +0000
Good day list,

I thought that it was about time that I asked a few of my burning questions and
balance up the seemingly TR
dominated list.

I recently bought a Herald 1200 and defected from the Mini list dreaming of
greater exitement, a sun-tanned head in
the summer (see point 1 below) and the prospect of working on a car which
didn't require yoga classes to get at
its vital organs.
The previous owner fitted a 1500 dolomite engine with twin carbs and a sptifire
radiator and so begin my
questions:

1, Most importantly, could anyone confirm or destroy a supposed myth that it is
possible to easily unbolt the roof to
convert a Herald saloon into a convertible during our long balmy English
summers.

2, I quite like the high pitched whine reminiscent of a launching aeroplane
which accompanies the engine noise but
what is it caused by? Suggestions so far have been the gearbox/transmission or
the air intake.

3, Is there any difference in 1500 Spitfire engines and 1500 Dolomite engines?

4, Whats the deal with leaded/unleaded petrol with these engines. I have been
told that its OK to use unleaded as
long as the occasional tank of leaded is used to lubricate the system. I
currently err on the side of caution and fill
up with alternate tanks.

If there are any Herald owners out there, I hope you can help.

Thanks

Ben Barratt
Brighton