Re: TR2 RACK AND PINION CONVERSION

To: <EPaul21988@aol.com>, <TRIUMPHS@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: TR2 RACK AND PINION CONVERSION
From: kengano@advant.com (Gano, Ken)
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 1997 21:43:18 -0600
I am 9/10ths through a "Schaller" conversion.  Not a big project, you will
need a TR4, etc. rack and pinion and the tie rod ends need to be shortened.
 The threads are "rolled" so you can't just thread further down and cut off
the excess.  I took them to a machine shop and had them cut out an
appropriate amount from the middle and weld the good threads back on the
end.  Not something for the faint of heart as the whole integrity of the
steering mechanism is then riding on the quality of that weld, but I
trusted the shop (a lot) and decided it was cheaper and easier than having
two whole new pieces machined.

I bought the rack and pinion off the net for $125.00 and had less than
$10.00 in other materials.  No real magic to the mounting bracket.  I
certainly wouldn't pay someone else to fab the bracket.  It's nothing more
than an piece of 3" channel bent and welded to fit.

        The connection is straight forward enough.  You will need 2 TR6 shafts,
(really just two of the splined "t" shaped pieces) and two universal joints
to tie the whole thing together.  I got a flex shaft coupler and two
universal joints from he local power transmission supplier (Browning Mfg.
co. #CJF-2-5/8" and UJ12-5/8") which worked fine,  but you could do the
same thing with two splined shafts and the coupler from a TR6, like Shaller
describes.

        the last 1/10th has proven problematic.  I really don't understand the
slip ring arrangement Shaller discusses and don't understand why he would
suggest that you could run the horn wire and not the turn signal wires.  I
really don't understand how the tube down the middle can be held in place
after it is shortened.  Any thoughts on that would be appreciated.

        Good luck.  I'll be interested in hearing how it works for you.  I also
was unaware that anyone was selling a kit.  Any information you could send
along on that would be helpful.

Ken Gano
kengano@advant.com
TR3A TS57756 (in pieces)
----------
> From: EPaul21988@aol.com
> To: TRIUMPHS@autox.team.net
> Subject: TR2 RACK AND PINION CONVERSION
> Date: Saturday, March 15, 1997 8:54 AM
>
> List,
>
> Does anyone have any experience or familiarity with the rack and pinion
> conversion kit offered by the firm called PROTEK, located in Oxon,
England ?

> They advertise in TRaction. The kit is described as 'bolt on'. I am
> considering purchasing a kit for installation on  my TR2 project.
>
> Anyone out there who has performed the conversion described by Bob
Shaller in