Re: TR4 Rearend Needed!

To: ArthurK101@aol.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR4 Rearend Needed!
From: kedwards@norfolk.infi.net (Keith A. Edwards)
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 1997 20:36:21 -0500 (EST)
>From the digest:

On Thu, 13 Mar 1997 18:23:47 -0500 (EST), Art Kelly stroked the keyboard:

> >I have a friend that is searching for a used, complete TR4 rear end for
his
>  >'66 TR4.

>If it's a '66, it's a TR4A. (the comission numbers are also different TR4
> -CTxxxx and TR4A CTCxxxx).  If you check Piggott's book ( Original Triumph TR
>p.40) for the compatibility of TR4 and TR4A differentials you will find that
>a 4A which has Independent Rear Suspension (IRS) has a different differential
>than a TR4 or a rigid -axle TR4A.  So you first need to see what kind of
> axle you have.  The catalogues from TRF, VB and Moss seem to bear this out.
> One of the big differences is the way the transmissions bolt to the car, but
>it apears that there are other differences.  Cheers.

Pardon me if I misunderstand your statement.

Only the IRS versions of the TR4As have the CTC commission numbers.  Solid
("live") rear axle TR4As have the CT commission numbers, same as the TR4s had.

I'll also add that I recall it matters whether the replacement axle is for a
solid axle TR4A or for a TR4.  They differed, at least slightly.  I have a
couple of TR4 rear axles that I could part with.  I have _no_ 4.1 ratio rear
ends; what I have are 3.7.

Keith Edwards
Suffolk, VA
kedwards@norfolk.infi.net
1962 TR3B TSF198L
1962 TR3B TCF103L
1967 TR4A CT70921L (solid axle)
1967 TR4A CT72418L (solid axle)
1954 Austin-Healey 100
1954 Austin Princess Vanden Plas limo (For Sale)