Re: TR6 Squat....

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR6 Squat....
From: Tom Tweed <ak627@dayton.wright.edu>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 1997 20:14:32 -0500
Dan Julien wrote :

 >Have you checked to see that you have the proper trailing arm mounting
 >brackets, and that they are mounted in the right positions? Both the
 >brackets and springs were changed in 1970 or 1971 (from 1-notch inner
 >bracket, 2-notch outer to 3-notch inner, 1-notch outer) to improve the
 >suspension geometry. When working through suspension problems in my car,
 >one thing that I found was that the DPO had not only mixed early and late
 >brackets, but had mixed the inner and outer brackets. Just one more thing
                    ^^^^^ ^^^ ^^^^^ ^^^ ^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^
 >to check, if you haven't already.
 >
 >Dan Julien
 >'72 TR6 CC78709U
 >Austin, Texas
 >djulien@mail.utexas.edu

...and FWIW, I found the very same mix-up on a rolling chassis I bought
a few years ago, which gave the rear wheels WAY too much positive cam-
ber, although it was exaggerated since the frame was bare except for
suspension, steering, and brakes & wheels.

Lots to check, and double-check, with the IRS cars, given the years
and POs they've been through by now !

BTW the CV shaft replacements for the splined half-shafts sound like
a big improvement to me, although the price is a shocker.  As common
as CV axles are for front-drive cars, it seems that an existing type
could be rebuilt & modified to fit Triumphs, or put together with
mostly off-the shelf components, at something much less than $1000. !
   But, have I actually researched it ? No.  Just noticed a wide
array of sizes, lengths, etc. in the salvage yards that I frequent
to keep the commuter cars going.

Best regards,
Tom Tweed
SW Ohio