Re: TR6: Copper Brake Piping from Rimmer Bros.

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR6: Copper Brake Piping from Rimmer Bros.
From: Spitfire 1500 <spitfire1500@named.dalton.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 1997 11:38:22 -0500
Egil Kvaleberg wrote:

> On 13 Mar 1997, PVANDAL@aol.com wrote:
>
> > Do not use copper, it is dangerous
>
> Thats utter nonsense. Copper brake lines have been used in the UK for
> ages, and they have no problems whatsoever. You have to make sure that you
> use copper lines that *are* made for this purpose, and that the lines are
> properly fastened so as not to indice fatigue. Which is just as valid for
> any brake line.
>
> A very good alternative to pure copper is copper-nickel. It is almost as
> easy to work on, somewhat stiffer, and just as corrosion resistant.
>
> I would personally NEVER EVER use steel lines on any car that I had plans
> to keep. Definitely. I've simply changed too many corroded steel lines in
> my life.
>
> > and MVD will gig you with it.
>
> Not that I know very much about US matters, but are these the same guys
> that say that you can't use proper headlamps, that you can't use yellow
> bulbs, that your engine compartment has to look exactly like a photograph
> they have etc. ad libitum. Oh, it *must* be dangerous when they say so.
>
> Egil
> --
> Email: egilk@sn.no  Voice: +47 22523641, 92022780 Fax: +47 22525899
> Snail: Egil Kvaleberg, Husebybakken 14A, 0379 Oslo, Norway

Yeah, our government thinks they can protect all of us dummies.  We do
not know how to take care of ourselves.  I would never put copper on
anything due to the fact that copper does tend to expand and will crack.
Sure, in a perfect world, if everything is secured properly, it won't.
But our LBCs are not perfect, introducing many different vibrations
through the frame and chassis.

Now, "copper clad" steel lines is another matter. If this is the case,
go for it. This will give the best of both worlds, the strength of steel
and the corrosion resistance of copper.

Ron N.
Dalton, Ga
http://member.dalton.net/~spitfire1500
77 Spitfire 1500 - undergoing cajones transplant - FM66513UO
62? Vitesse/Sports 6 convertible - HB5635LCV
92 Ford Tempo GLS V6 (Ultimate Q-ship!) - 1FAPP38U1NK150073