Re: Spitfire tmp sending unit / oil filter

To: GinteGM@LOUISVILLE.STORTEK.COM
Subject: Re: Spitfire tmp sending unit / oil filter
From: npenney <npenney@erols.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 1997 14:52:13 -0800
Cc: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
>I bought my Spitfire from the original owner last July, after it had sat
>in a garage for 8 years.

You did better then I.  I bought mine from the original owner after it had sat
for eight years in the
grass at the end of his driveway.

>Since then I have spent a lot of time and money trying to
>get it road-worthy for the spring.

Egads!  That's exactly what I'm doing. <g>

My temerature gauge doesn't work at all.  Does anyone know a good way to
determine if a Spit temp sending unit is bad?  Gauge?

Yes, use a multi-meter and check resistance.  I don't remember the numbers, but
what you are after is a
change in resistance relating to a change in temperature.  Easiest measured
with a pot of boiling
water.  Take sending unit, place on table, measure resistance.  Place sending
unit in pot, bring water
to a boil, fish out and measure resistance again.  It should be different now.
If not, the unit is
bad.

You can check almost all electrical gauges with a dry cell battery.  The 1.5
volts won't fry the gauge,
but will cause it to move.  If it won't move, it's broke.  Try connecting the
battery both ways first
though.

My local VERY freindly (15% discount becuase I used to work with the
owner years ago)  import parts house cannot provide me with an oil
filter that fits the 1500 motor.

Lee LF-17 fits, with the adapter.  You need the adapter.  Unless you like
spending lots of money to
have expensive filters shipped to you from places like Victoria British.

Another alternative, though not cheap either is to find a Wix or Baldwin filter
distributor.  Both
companies carry every filter ever made for any and all applications.  If they
do not, they will custom
manufacture them for you, without charging you a manufacturing fee.  For
automotive filters they
normally run about $10-20 bucks apeace.  However, they are excellent filters.

I have used this guarantee of theirs twice btw.  They now make a special filter
for certain Joy/Sulivan
compressers with a special type of non-blowing seal.  And, they carry a funky
filter for unknown
manufacturers of strange external oil filter type oil pumps that one vw beetle
customer had (me).

But I think I would just by the adapter and be done with it.