Spitfire tmp sending unit / oil filter

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Spitfire tmp sending unit / oil filter
From: "Ginter, G M (Michael)" <GinteGM@LOUISVILLE.STORTEK.COM>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 1997 09:34:11 -0700
I bought my Spitfire from the original owner last July, after it had sat
in a garage
for 8 years.  Since then I have spent a lot of time and money trying to
get it road-worthy for the spring.  New clutch, rebuilt differential and
rear hubs and leaf spring and it drives pretty well.  Still needs a soft
top, and I have a couple of problems I need to resolve before I can
really put some miles on it.

My temerature gauge doesn't work at all.  Does anyone know a good way to
determine if a Spit temp sending unit is bad?  Gauge?

My local VERY freindly (15% discount becuase I used to work with the
owner years ago)  import parts house cannot provide me with an oil
filter that fits the 1500 motor.  The only LBC catalog I have is a the
latest VB (still waiting for TRF catalog).  It lists an oil filter that
requires a 5/8" adapter (that they also conveniently sell).  Do I need a
5/8" adapter?  Are original filters no longer available and thus the
replacment part requires the adapter?

Any help on these issues would be appreciated.

Mike
79 Spit