Re: Rescue a TR6??

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Rescue a TR6??
From: Gt6nut@aol.com
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 1997 15:52:23 -0500 (EST)

<<
 Thereıs a ı72 TR6 Iım thinking about rescuing.  Price?  Cheap.  Problems?
 Well ...

 The current owner says that though the car has been tarped while heıs had
it, at some point it had been left Ştop down,Ş so now, the floorpans are
shot.  Ditto the braking system.  And this is just the stuff he offered to
tell me about.  He did say he thought the frame was O.K., and I asked him
specifically about the trailing arms, which he says heıll check before we
talk again.  (If he says thereıs significant frame rust, Iım not eager to
proceed ...)

 But before I go to see the rest of this projectıs problems, who can tell me
how difficult a job a floorpan replacement is in a TR6?  The pans are spot
welded?  How much are they, a couple hundred?

 My idea is to strip the car down to tub and frame, repaint the car and
rebuild the engine or swap it out.  Iım looking at a good yearıs project,
maybe longer, but heck, it is a 6 ...
  whatıs not to like?
 ---
 Martin Secrest
 ı74 Spitfire 1500 >>

Martin,
I an in the process of "restoring" a GT6+ that was in about the same
condition that you describe. Like you i thought it could be done in a year or
so. Well..... I'm now on year 2 and looking at least another year before it
is completed. This job is an amazing amount of work,and much more expensive
than my initial estimate.
Even doing all of the body work and welding myself (this is the cheap part) i
figure i will have somewhere between $10,000 and $12,000 into the car before
i am finished.
This is just the cost for parts and machiene work that i dont have the
equipment to do myself. I dont even want to think about my labor cost!
But in the end i will have a "brand new" 1969 Triumph GT6.

I guess it all depends on what you want and how much time and money you are
willing to put in to get it. But i will say, if i was to do it again (good
possibility) i would try to find a car in better shape to start with.

If you are interested take a look at my web site and you can see some of what
i have done.

CHEERS!!!

Dan Arrington (Near Portland,OR.)
gt6nut@aol.com