Re: '65 Spitfire

To: eburger@sagelink.com
Subject: Re: '65 Spitfire
From: CBrown1500@aol.com
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 1996 17:02:29 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Ed,

If the car won't start and the frame and body are as bad as you say, I call
that a parts car--even if it is a '65. In my world that makes it worth about
$100-200. That's not to say you shouldn't try to bring it back to life.
Projects like that can represent half the joy of LBC ownership, or just drive
you to the poor house. Just be aware going in that it's going to take a lot
more time and money than you could ever estimate--unless you've had a lot of
experience. Buy the car for as little as possible and allow yourself enough
time to do the job right. Before setting off on a restoration, decide if
you're going to be building a show car (doubtful from the car's condition you
describe) or a nice driver, and maintain that goal as you proceed. I've seen
drivers win awards at car shows. Worst case scenerio is you do indeed end up
with a parts car for when you find something better.

With much caution, I suggest contacting Victoria British (800-255-0088) for
replacement sheet metal for the early body style. They list many of the
pieces, but I can't offer any assurances of OEM British quality (is that an
oxymoron?). Although many parts are interchangable between early and late
Spits, Vicky Brit seems to list more parts for early models than Roadster
Factory (800-678-8764). Special Interest Car Parts also lists many of the
parts for the early years.

Have fun and keep up posted on you progress,
Charlie B.