'65 Spitfire

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: '65 Spitfire
From: Bschwartz@encad.com (Barry Schwartz)
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 1996 07:35:23 -0800
Ed,
    While I personally would like to resurrect every poor Triumph I see,
some projects are better left alone, and in my opinion this is one of them.
I myself am in the process of a frame/every nut and bolt restoration of a 70
Spitfire.  It will surely cost more than its worth, but that's not what is
important.  It a hobby and a labor of love - my GT6 probably cost more than
it is worth, but for me it was worth every penny.  This "project" though
sounds like way to much work, almoust a total rebuild of the frame and body.
While frame repairs can and should be made (areas of the 70 frame needed
repair/replacement from the really DPO wanna-be racer who didnt know the
first thing about making a frame lighter).  Major reconstructions to the
frame are to be avoided, as they require jigs/and or alignment fixtures to
do properly.  That is not to say it can't be done, but it usually outside
the realm of your average and above average home restorer.  From your
description of the car, even if it was given to me I wouldn't attempt it
(and I'll restore just about anything!).  About the only good thing I would
get out of the car your talking about is a pre-smog registration that could
be used on another project?

What area is this car in? I could always use another pre-smog registration!

Barry Schwartz
Bschwartz@encad.com (work)
Bschwart@pacbell.net (home)
(San Diego)
70' Spitfire (under-going major surgery) ,  72'-V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70'GT6+