'65 Spitfire

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: '65 Spitfire
From: Ed Burger <eburger@sagelink.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 1996 21:28:56 -0500 (EST)
Hello all, I am new to the world of triumphs, and generally all
automobiles.  I want put together an early spit (mark I or II).  I've
found one (a '65) nearby for $500 (negotiable, it started at $900).  But it
looks to need a lot of work, potentially a lot more than its worth.
First off, the frame had rotted, but was repaired, but the repair was not
a good one.  The frame was put on 3 inches too high, and the axle is way
off.  This repair could be done easily enough (well, one the wallet)
because I have access to a torch, etc. and my father can fix it.  This
axle is at a real funny angle though, and has caused wear all over from
rubbing.  I don't know if anything went on inside the rear end either.
The car does not run, but that is expected for the price.  It should be
another easy fix though.  The engine turns and sputters.  The body has
seen better days, but that comes with the price.  Also, it has been
sitting in a garage for ten years (no weather protection though).  This
means new tires and the brakes need to be fixed a bit.  I wanted to know
if you guys (being knowledgable) think its a good idea (I'm looking
forward to the work) and around what I'll be spending to get it running.
Also, does anyone know of any parts suppliers (cheap!).

thanks,
ed