RE: electric fuel pump (Why?)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: electric fuel pump (Why?)
From: Bschwartz@encad.com (Barry Schwartz)
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 1996 06:33:45 -0700
> wouldn't hold back on recommending the stock pump on its reliability, why
> shouldn't I just go with that one? (Particulary becuase of the cool glass
> sediment bowl!).
I'm sorry if I misled, I was refering to the reliability of the electric,
not the stock pump.
>        Thanx for writing! Just a couple points and questions in response.
> First of all, I have an extremely basic understanding of vapor lock; could
> you tell me exactly what it is? Nothing detailed, just a quickie
> explanation.
Vapor lock is a condition when the heat from the engine (or other source)
soaks into the fuel lines (and related components) causing the fuel to boil
creating vapor "pockets" since fuel pumps depend on a liquid for the pump
valves to properly work (seal), any vapor pockets around the fuel pump area
will cause the pump to temporarily fail causing hard starting, stalling,
etc.  This condition is aggravated when the fuel is the incorrect
formulation for the ambient condition (fuel bought in december, driving in
april).  With a fuel pump in the rear "pushing" the fuel, the problem is
eliminated.
Barry Schwartz
Bschwartz@encad.com
Bschwart@pacbell.net
63' Spitfire,  72'-V6 Spitfire   70'GT6+