RE: electric fuel pump (Why?)

To: "J. Stovall" <jstovall@earthlink.net>, "triumph" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: electric fuel pump (Why?)
From: John Matthews <matthews@apple.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 96 13:35:57 -0800
>>Jeff,
>>  I kind of got lost in all this electric pump, shut offs, wreck your car
>>options, etc. Exactly why is it that you want to go electric and add all the
>>parts and expense.
snip

Jeff,

I see you're still trying to work this out. I happen to agree with the above
statements. I'm sure there are many people who have had good experiences with
electric pumps, but mine was just the opposite.

I was having problems with leaks from the pump on my Herald. When I priced the
replacement I figured I could save a few bucks by going electric. You will need
to find a low pressure unit, or buy a regulator (~$50./US). then you have to
install it in a suitable place under the car, run the wires, work out a cutoff,
and purchase or make a plate to cover the hole left in the block. This will
take considerable time and money. I admit I didn't install the one I bought
properly, and I bought the cheapo unit from Kragen, but it failed within 1
month  of installation (no return on electrical parts) and I was stuck.
Fortunately I had left the stock unit in place and was able to use it to get
the few miles to work. After that experience I ordered a stock replacement and
was back on the road the next day.

One other thing, have you ever had a dead battery? With the mechanical unit you
can push start your car and be on your way. Not so with the electric.

In short, I would advise you to think carefully before modifying any systems.
The mechanical pump is very reliable. How long did the old one last? And, you
will avoid being that bad guy, the DPO.

Just my .02¢

John Matthews
'61 & '65 Heralds