Re; Spitfire unibody separation - parking brake - boring tech help

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re; Spitfire unibody separation - parking brake - boring tech help
From: Bschwartz@encad.com (Barry Schwartz)
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 1996 14:38:33 -0700
> I think the fuel tank is directly above the frame member in question.  I
> am seeking advice as to how to rejoin frame member and floor pan.
>  (Please realize that I neither have time nor money nor inclination to
> totally disassemble the car and trailer the body to the local welder "to
> do the job right."  'Nuff said?)  Is it possible to remove the tank and
> bolt the frame to the pan, pulling the frame back into place?  Or what??
I can't imagine what your looking at.  On all Spitfires the only thing
directly below the fuel tank (besides the floor) is the differential.  That
access plate is for undoing the nuts securing the spring to the top of the
diff.  The handbrake cable fulcrum mounting is directly behind the seats in
front, and above the drive-shaft where it attaches to the diff. (looking up
from underneath the car)
If in fact it has seperated from the body then the only way I know of to fix
it, sorry, is to dissasemble and reweld/replace what's broken-
Barry Schwartz
Bschwartz@encad.com
Bschwart@pacbell.net
63' Spitfire,  72'-V6 Spitfire   70'GT6+