Re: Horrible experience w/ Sports & Classics

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, british-cars@autox.team.net, tr8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Subject: Re: Horrible experience w/ Sports & Classics
From: billsohl@planet.net (Bill Sohl)
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 1996 17:48:09 -0500
Hctcbob@aol.com wote:
>I always take the opportunity to "visit" triumph suppliers whenever I'm in
>another part of the world.

Excellent advice.  I've been to TRF, Moss (west coast and east coast) and their
operations are impressive.

Description of disapointing personal visit to S&C deleted for brevity....

>I was also unimpressed with Triumph Specialty (snooty,
>untrustworthy, overpriced and nothing like their catalog)

Aren't those guys out-of-business now?  Several years ago when I
was president of VTR I was asked to personally intervene in resolving
problems that at least 4 VTR members had with those guys.  In my
opinion they just didn't care and customer satisfaction was not
their primary goal.

>and Triumphs Only... a
>typical repair/sorta-restoration shop in the San Jose area.

Wasn't Triumphs Only a spin-off from Triumph Specialty?

>For some reason, I expect these people to show their enthusiasm.

I couldn't agree more with that.  People who go into business to cater to
any hobby area (be it TR owners, MG owners, model railroaders, or
whatever) had better understand that as enthusiasts we only want to deal with
people who care.  Yes, we understand that people need to make a profit,
but if that's at the expense of customer satisfaction and enthusiasm
for our particular interests, then I'll take my business elsewhere.

>TRF shows it, but it appears
>that they have their own problems.  I tried to order a pair of stock rear
>springs, a diff cover gasket and pinion seal, carb kits and 2 bonnet locating
>cones from them last week.  They had 1 of the springs in stock. These are not
>unusual parts.  How could they run out of carb kits? I ordered it from
>Moss---all in stock.

Under the circumstances, I'd do the same.  The TRF staff and I have been
friends for years, but when you need a part(s), you need them now.  My
first choice is always TRF, but on occasions I've ordered from Moss and
Vicky British.  I've had excellent/good service from all three suppliers.

One thing I'd like to note also is that TRF, Moss and Vicky Brit all
take an active role in supporting the hobby beyond their counter and mail
order sales.  I'm sure there are other vendors that do so also, but based
on their
support of US, the TRF, Moss and VB folks are my personal choices for
my TR parts needs.

Cheers,
Bill Sohl   Budd Lake, NJ   billsohl@planet.net
----
Visit the Mount Olive Township Republican Party Home page at:
    http://www.cns-nj.com/mtolive