Re: Dolomite/Sprints ?

To: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Subject: Re: Dolomite/Sprints ?
From: Gregory Petrolati <gpetrola@prairienet.org>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 1996 11:55:35 -0500 (CDT)
Cc: "Richard Jackson - Network Technician ext. 2570" <RICHARD.JACKSON@nene.ac.uk>, Scions of Stanpart <triumphs@autox.team.net>
On Tue, 30 Jul 1996, Andrew Mace wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Jul 1996, Richard Jackson - Network Technician ext. 2570 wrote:
>
> > >Can you say Q-ship?
> >
> > Yep, Q-ship
>
> Say goodnight, Rich! ;-)
>
> In case Strange Amercian Car Slang doesn't always drift eastward over the
> seas to the mother country, a Q-Ship is what some people call the various
> high-end, high-dollar (and, to me, high-pretense) Mercedes, BMW, [maybe]
> Jaguar, Lexus, Acura, Infiniti and other big luxury sedans. Me, I call
> them out of my price range!

        SORRRY I can't let this one go, folks... Q-ships were
        vulnerable-looking tramp steamers used during WWI and WWII to
        lure U-boats captains into surfacing to sink them... Once the
        sub was on the surface the sides of the packing crates stored on the
        deck would drop revealing serious weaponry, which would procede to
        fire on the sub before it could resubmerge.

        Cars that are Q-ships are ones that look like normal sedans...
        but pack a lot of horsepower and/or great handling under the "plain
        wrapper" (e.g. the Dodge Dart 440 of the 60's the Nissan Sentra SEX
        or even the Golf GTI). In hot Rod terminology Q-ships are also called
        "sleepers"

        Greg Petrolati

Greg Petrolati, Champaign, Illinois